Tuesday, February 3, 2015

American Sniper

I saw the movie, American Sniper, and I must admit that I do not understand the controversy surrounding this film at all. It is, as all movies, a story; in this case, a story about a man's life. It is no different than other stories about men who have served in the military, i.e., "Lawrence of Arabia, The Desert Fox: The Story of Rommel ( the German general who fought against the U.S. ), Sergent York, etc., etc., etc. Maybe those who claim the movie glorifies war see it as such because the protagonist, Chris Kyle, in American Sniper was extremely patriotic; but, I'd be willing to wager that most of the critics have not lived in Texas. Having lived there myself for several years, I can attest to the fact that patriotism is ingrained in Texas society much more so than any other state in the union, imo. You have to have lived there to understand it. As said, American Sniper is a story about a man's life, and judging from interviews of people who personally knew Chris Kyle, I'd say it is an accurate portrayal of the man. And I see nothing wrong with recording history on film, and I cannot help but to think of those who object to doing so as being narrow minded. I'm sure that someday, sooner than later, there will be movies made from the Iraqi or Afghan citizen/soldier/terrorists point of view. When that day comes, if it is a well written film, I'm sure I'll welcome it with the same enthusiasm that I welcomed Clint Eastwood's film, Letters From Iwo Jima, which was told from the perspective of the Japanese solders who fought against us. In other words, People, get over it, buy the ticket, get some popcorn, enjoy the movie and hopefully learn to see the world from a different point on view.

No comments:

Post a Comment