Monday, February 9, 2015

The first of many


Monday, Feb. 9, 2015,
I turn 59 in four days. All day today, I’ve wondered how I should feel about this. I wonder if I’ll be any different if I make it to 69. This is my first attempt to write a journal, or a diary, if you will. If I have the opportunity to look back 10 years from now and read this, I wonder if I’ll be any different than I was 10 years ago, when I was nearing 49. But I really don’t remember how I felt then; at least, I’m not certain. I assumed I questioned many of the same things about my life then as I do now.
I walked Jack Smith Road today, as I try to do most days. As I did so, I thought of how I fear gaining weight and how I need to practice drums today in order to help me lose pounds because drumming is such good exercise. But then I remembered Saturday night when we visited Leslie’s friend, Melanie, and the great difficulty I had hearing the movie we watched at her house. Melanie knows I wear hearing aids, I believe she graciously turned her television’s volume up louder than normal because at times it seemed even too loud for me, as if it was almost distorting. But I still could not follow the movie’s dialogue well enough to keep up with the story line. At home, I always have the television’s closed-caption on, and even though I have blind spots in my vision, due to glaucoma, I have taught myself to move my eyes up and down very fast ( when I look at the closed-caption, I cannot see the people’s faces on the screen, and when I look at the faces, I cannot see the closed-caption ). But by the rapid eye movement, I am generally able to understand the dialogue. As the old saying goes, people hear what they see. And because I can usually see the caption, I think I can hear the dialogue; but nights such as last Saturday are a painful reminder that I cannot.

I probably knew this at age 49, too, but I haven’t wanted to accept it; I suppose because I’ve wanted to keep drumming. After all, drumming provided a great supplement to my income for several years of my life. And, as always we are in great want of money. But as I walked the road today, I thought that should forget drumming and pursue writing; and on this day, four days prior to my 59th birthday, I thought that it would be a good idea to start a journal, or a diary of sorts; that way, if I live to be few years older, I can look back and see if I stayed the course. Of if, as usual, I fell victim to my lust for money and the accolades that drumming provides and went back to what I do best, which is of course drumming. After all, I started drumming professionally when I was 11. I only started writing in my mid to late 30s. But I want to hear my grandchildren years from now, and their children if I am that long for this life. So, here I sat, making my first entry into my journal. 
PS
I shall not post every entry on this blog because I hope to be completely open about life in this journal. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on writing, my friend! Once a writer, always a writer just like you being a musician too. Both talents will never leave you and you will take them with you always no matter where you go in life. Sometimes it's okay to put them up on a shelf to look at for while. And then we take them down and use them again. In the meantime, just enjoy the ride knowing you are a very talented person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Galen, you're a true and loyal friend. I'm most thankful for you. And, you're a very talented writer, also. Carry On.

    ReplyDelete