Thursday, October 2, 2014

bittersweet


I had a very bittersweet experience watching the remastered 75th anniversary showing of Gone With The Wind. It was bitter and sweet because my mother loved it so much; when I was a child, the theaters ran GWTW every four years. My mother made sure that we saw it at least once ever time it ran. Remembering my mother's love for that movie and how it affected me as a child is very nostalgic for me. It was also very sad: one reason my mother loved it so was because she identified with Scarlet O'Hara. My mother's father started our family business, which was eventually passed down to her. She had every intention of passing our land and business down just as Scarlet's father passed it to her and her sisters. After my mother passed, family greed ruled and I eventually sold out to my relatives ( a mistake I'll always regret ). So, I love Gone With The Wind, but when I watch it, I'm filled with angst because I did not run roughshod over the lot of ‘em, as Scarlett did, and keep what was rightfully mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment